Sunday, January 17, 2016

Diversity of Languages

More and more scientific journals are published exclusively in English. This is bad for diversity, because you think better in your native language and can have a better chance at scientific success if you can be published in a language you know better than English. On the other hand, people around the world are constantly getting better at English, so perhaps this problem will get its own solution. In the future, it may be much more natural for most people having English as an alternative language to their native language.

For my part, I have no problem writing in English, but this is mostly thanks to my Mum being a native English speaker, as she came from the USA. I think there are advantages writing in English, because you can reach more people. I like being able to do that.

I think English will be a dominant language for centuries to come. Then it is good if science is written in English. Still, non English science should not be ignored. It is a balance the editors of the journals have to make.

No comments: