Sunday, December 30, 2007

Does Father Christmas Exist?

A Russian TV advertisement said that Father Christmas, Santa Claus, does not exist. This made the authorities mad, so they banned the advertisement. The Russian authorities thought that the advertisement would break the rule not to discredit parents and teachers. Declaring that Father Christmas did not exist implied that parents were not telling the truth, thus undermining childrens' trust in them.

Personally, I am not sure whether Santa Claus exist to bring Christmas gifts in this day and age. I have never met him, though I have received Christmas presents. It is clear to me that he did exist at one time, as Saint Nicholaus, but does this mean that he brings presents at Christmas in our time?

I have not seen the Russian TV advertisement. Nevertheless, it seems to me that it was wrong to ban it. Are not children supposed to believe more in their parents than in TV advertisements, anyway? I know I did as a pup.

No comments: