Thursday, October 19, 2006

Gymnastics

I was watching the World Champions in Gymnastics on TV. Some of the competitions are aired live on Eurosport from Aarhus in Denmark. The interesting thing is to try to figure out how they do all the special effects needed to make humans look like they are flying, turning around in mid-air, making multiple twists and flips et cetera. It got to be advanced technical equipment doing this, especially since the competitions are broadcasted live.

I guess you have sometimes seen documentaries on how they make these kinds of special effects in motion pictures, when they let actors look like they are flying by hanging in small threads, invisible in the final movie. My educated guess is they use the same technique in gymnastics. I tried to see the threads in the Gymnastics World Championships, but I never caught any with my eyes.

There must be other special effects used as well. I really would like to see a documentary on how they do this when it comes to gymnastics. Maybe Eurosport will have a documentary like that after the final day of the Championships on the 21st of October. I have to keep my eyes open for it.

No comments: