Sunday, January 28, 2007

Latin

There is an old European language that seems to be dying out, the language of the ancient Roman Empire, Latin. I guess I do not care much. Daniel think this is sad, given the huge importance of Latin in history. However, he admits he has never made any real efforts to learn Latin himself. It is more useful to learn modern languages, he says. He studied English and German in school.

For my part, I believe it is nice to know English, but I would much rather learn Japanese than Latin. Japanese is a modern language and the official language of the only current Empire in the world, the world's second largest economy, and not least the original language of the Shiba Inu breed. All my ancestors knew Japanese. Paula has expressed some interest in learning Japanese, I hope she can teach me some sometime. It would be fun to know some Latin as well, but not equally fun.

No comments: