Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Breed Watch List

Occassionally, I write about my wild cousins, the wolves. I am concerned about them, because they are an endangered sub-species of my own species. There are also dog breeds who are endangered. In England, the Kennel Club has a watch list on endangered breeds. They are now concerned about the future of the Old English Sheepdog, an iconic, English breed. This is a friendly breed, well mentally equipped for being a pet breed in the modern society - although their size, need for excercise and grooming may talk to their disadvantage. I am a little surprised, though, that this breed is on the watch list. In the best of worlds, no dog breed would be on the watch list, but some deserve it less than others. If a breed has a great mentality for the modern world, it should always have a given place in the modern world. The Old English Sheepdog is such a breed.

No comments: