Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Importance of Looking Good

A joint Swedish-Scottish scientific effort has found that looks are important for humans when they are applying for jobs. I would not think this is a surprise. Every human knows that looks are important when you seek a mate to wed and/or have children with. Humans often spend more time awake with people they work with than with their mate, so looks would play a part here as well, I believe.

For me, as a dog, the importance of good looks is nothing strange. Looks are important in the dog show ring and when we get a mate. In the show ring, the greatest importance is not looks, but conformity to the breed standard (which is lucky for dogs of some breeds), but you cannot deny that looks play a part in the judging.

Of course, there are parts of your looks that you are born with. Regardless of that, anyone can have a well groomed coat, well cut claws, and good manners. This is also very important for your looks, and any dog can do something about these things, just like any human can take care of the skin, hair, clothes, and manners.

With my Swedish Champion title, I have got the paperwork to show that I look good. I wonder whether there will ever be the same type of judging of humans? I do not think so, humans are often more sensitive about these things than dogs are. After all, we also have our excellent noses for judging other dogs, so looks are actually less important for us.

No comments: