Wednesday, April 01, 2015

New EU Regulation: No More Jokes

The European Union has issued a new regulation stating that there will be no more April's Fool's Jokes. There is no tradition for these jokes in the whole Union, so everybody does not understand them, hence the tradition to make jokes impairs the free movement of goods, dogs, and people within the Union. This regulation takes effect immediately. The Member States have to issue new rules penalizing anyone who makes jokes, with fines or, in more severe cases, prison.

I do not like this new regulation. I have always devoted my blog to an April's Fool's Joke on the 1st of April every year. Now I will not be able to do this anymore. I cannot see the harm in friendly jokes. I hope the regulation will be challenged in Court and not upheld. In my mind, it is an infringement of the freedom of speech. Freedom of movement is also important, but not as important as freedom of speech.

No comments: