Sunday, June 26, 2011

Football World Cup

Today is the first day of the FIFA Women's World Cup in football. The men had their world cup last summer. I have no problem accepting that the women and the men compete in different world cups. This is just like dogs competing in dog shows: the males compete against other males and the females against other females.

There is one huge difference, though. In dog shows, the best male and the best female faces each other in a final competition, that of the Best of Breed. (The Best in Group and Best in Show finals are actually unofficial, as I suppose most of my readers already know.) There is nothing like that in football.

I would want to see a game played after the Women's World Cup between the winners there and the winners in the male World Cup of last year. This would prove interesting. I have been told the male footballers are so much better than the females, that the outcome would be obvious before the game. However, the women footballers are also said to become increasingly better. If they can never face the men, how can we know how much better the men are, and how do we know when the future women equals the men? (Some would say never, but I am not sure of that.) I hope there will be a game like this in the future.

No comments: