Wednesday, June 01, 2011

False Marketing

Hello, Karstuhl here!

It has come to my attention that our local supermarket sells a German sausage called Bärchenwurst, by the company Reinert. The name means Small Bear Sausage. Apparently, the sausage is made out in such a fashion that slices of it looks like teddy bears.

I have always been interested in trying out new kinds of food. Bear meat is something I have never eaten. If we would have easy access to a bear sausage at our local supermarket, I would ask Paula and Daniel to buy some so we could try it out. However, I started out by doing some research. It turns out that the Bärchenwurst consists of 65 % pork and 15 % turkey, the rest is water, milk, spices, and artificial ingredients.

I do not like this. The main ingredient of sausages is always supposed to be meat. If you market a sausage under a name that in part means bear, but the sausage does not contain bear meat, I believe this is false marketing. Under these circumstances, I would use my consumer power and not buy this fake sausage. I hope you do the same!

No comments: