Tuesday, August 02, 2011

A 26 Years Old Dog?

The world's oldest dog is supposed to be 26 years old this year. She is a cross breed of Shiba Inu and Japanese Spitz and claims part of her longevity on her Shiba Inu heritage. Shibas often get very old, though far from this old.

According to my source, this record is accepted by the Guinness Book of World Records. Also according to the source, a dog who is 26 years old is equivalent to a human becoming 116 years old. This made me think. Normally, one dog year equals seven human years. If you multiply 26 with 7, you do not get 116, but 182. 26 x 7 = 182. If you divide 116 with 26, you get something close to 4.461538, but I have never heard anybody say that one dog year would roughly equal four and a half human years.

Is it really possible that a dog can get this old? You would not believe a human could become 182 years old, would you? I allow myself to doubt.

No comments: