Saturday, March 26, 2011

Earlier American Settlement

Archaeologists have found stone tools that seem to establish that humans were in the Americas about 2,500 years earlier than previously thought. Instead of first arriving there about 13,500 years ago, humans would have been there about 16,000 years ago.

You may ask why I, as a dog, am interested in this. Nothing is mentioned about dogs. I guess no dog remains have been found. Still, it is reasonably established that dogs have lived with humans for at least 40,000 years. I also believe dogs have been with humans in every culture that I know of. My conclusion is, therefore, that dogs have also been in the Americas for about 2,500 years more than previously thought. I am not sure to what extent native American dog breeds have contributed to modern dog breeds, but I guess they have to some degree. Some present day dogs are probably decendants of dogs who accompanied humans to the Americas 16,000 years ago. This is food for thought.

No comments: