Sunday, March 07, 2010

No Animal Welfare Lawyers

In Switzerland, the people voted against a proposal to install a nationwide force of lawyers, whose job it would have been to protect the interests of animals in courts of law. I am not quite sure what to think about the plan or the vote not to adopt it. On one side, it would certainly be positive for neglected and mistreated dogs in the country. On the other side, Switzerland already have high standards on their animal protection laws while these proposed lawyers would have meant a heavy cost for the tax payers.

The main concern that I had, though, when I heard of the idea, was that these proposed animal lawyers would work for the protection of many more species than dogs. I do not care much for livestock and other such animals, that are meant, eventually, to be eaten. It is for the best if livestock is treated in a good way, because it means the meat becomes better. However, I cannot extend my compasion to livestock in the same way that I do for other dogs or for humans. Perhaps it is for the best that this proposal was turned down, so that the animal rights groups of Switzerland can come back with a less expensive plan that cares for man's best friend and not much more.

No comments: