Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Weird Idea for Peace Prize

The Italian edition of Wired Magazine claims to have nominated the Internet for the Nobel Peace Prize. While I can agree that the vast opportunities of communication that the Internet has brought to the world is good for peace, the Internet is an inanimate object. One of the main ideas of the Internet is that nobody and everybody owns it. If the Internet would get the prize, who would get the prize money, and what would be done with them? I believe giving the prize to the Internet simply cannot be done. It is a weird idea. On the other hand, I was not the only one who thought Barack Obama could not get the Peace Prize last year, but he did. If the Peace Prize committee want to take the edge of the ridicule from last year's prize, giving the prize to the Internet would be the perfect choice. I would not vote for it, would I be part of the committee, but I am not.

No comments: