Friday, April 10, 2009

Piracy

French forces have freed a couple of French citizens, held hostage by pirates off the coast of Somalia. Two pirates were killed and three captured. One of the hostages were also killed. It bothers me that the French citizens were repeatedly warned of going into the waters off Somalia, because there are pirates there. Why did they go there, despite repeated warnings? They even had a child with them, who made it, fortunately. It did not get a really happy ending either, considering that one of the hostages died.

I believe any country should protect its citizens from enemies of humanity, such as pirates, but to what extent is it reasonable to count upon the military power of your country or its allies? I would never have gone into an area were there were pirates, if I had been warned, especially not together with any of my pups. Occasionally, I have doubts on the intelligence of some humans.

No comments: