Thursday, April 02, 2009

Actions and Consequences

First, let me just say that the news I wrote about yesterday was just my April Fool's Joke of this year.

***

A couple of weeks ago, Sweden played Israel in Davis Cup. The game was played in Malmo, but no audience was allowed, the local politicias forbade it, officially because they were afraid of riots. I believe the real reason was antipathy against Israel, especially after the war between Israel and Hamas earlier this winter.

The decision not to allow any audience has now resulted in a decision by the International Tennis Federation. Malmo will not be allowed to host another Davis Cup game for five years, and the Swedish Tennis Federation will have to pay 15 000 dollars - an ordinary fee for the audiences - and a fine of 25 000 dollars. The total amount roughly equals 330 000 Swedish crowns.

I believe it is fair that the International Tennis Federation receives a monetary compensation. It may refrain others from doing what Malmo's politicians did. In my opinion, I believe the City of Malmo should pay the Swedish Tennis Federation damages to the amount of the fee and the fine, compensating the Tennis Federation for its extra costs. They may not do it voluntarily. I am not a lawyer, but I believe that if the Swedish Tennis Federation would sue the city for damages, the city might be ordered to pay. This would be the just thing, in my mind.

No comments: